Best Place for Learning Balinese Ancient Manuscript
Lontar is the most iconic and unique manifestations of tangible and intangible cultural heritage preserved on Bali from the past through to the present day. The literature and religious lore of Balinese and ancient Javanese traditions have been reproduced through the centuries via a learned tradition of writing and reading texts on lontar.
Gedong Kirtya Museum
Gedong Kirtya Museum located in veteran street Singaraja, or 10 km from Lovina Beach. This museum was built by Resident I.J.J. Calon on June 2nd 1928, who was a government official in Bali and Lombok during the Dutch colonial era. Initially, this place is used to research the Balinese Culture by 2 Dutch scholars F.A. Liefrienk and Dr. N. van der Tuuk . The name this museum was given by I Gusti Putu djelantik (Buleleng’s King), “gedong” mean building and “kirtya” mean to endeavour. So Gedong Kirtya means the building to conserve of Balinese Culture, especially the manuscript.
Gedong Kirtya Museum Information
The total area of Gedong Kirtya Museum is 300 squares meter and divided into 4 rooms. The first room, to keep lontar or old manuscript; the 2nd room, the place for copying the lontar; the 3rd room is the place for administration and the last room is exhibition place. Gedong Kirtya Museum collected the copies and preserves thousands of lontar (manuscripts made of palm leaf), “prasati” (transcriptions on metal plates) and books which contain various aspects of human life, such as religion, architecture, philosophy, genealogy, homeopathy, “usada” (medical manuscripts), black magic, and so on, in the Balinese, Kawi (old Javanese) and the Dutch, English and German language.
Gedong Kirtya collect thousands of palm leaf manuscripts, inscriptions, manuscripts paper in the Balinese language and Roman script including documents from the colonial period (1901-1953). List ejection in Kirtya Building Museum, among others:
A. WEDA (Bali)
1. The Veda: Maligia Indic Vedas, Vedic pangentas, Panglukatan Vedas, Vedic Sawawedana.
2. Mantra: Atmaraksa, Pabersihan, Pangastawa, Pujastawa, Tirta Gamana.
3. Kalpasastra: Banten pangentas, Bebantenan, Holy Caru, Indic Galungan, Manca Balikrama, Pacecaron, Pangabenan, Pawintenan, Plutuk, Sangkul Putih.
1. Palakerta: Religion, Purwadigama, Awig-awig, Kerta ring Sawah, Stri Sanggraha, Pamastuning, Cor, Widi Pamincatan, Adigama, Paswara, Kutaragama.
2. Sesana: Dasa Sila, Dewa Sesana, Kerta Bujangga, Mantra Sesana, Putra Sesana, King Sesana, Resi Sesana, Sarasamuscaya, Krama Sila, Sila Sesana Majesty.
3. Niti: Niti Praja, Niti Sastra, Raja Niti.
1. Wewaran: Ala Ayunung Dewasa , Ala Ayuning wuku, Palelintangan, diverts Dina, Pawacakan, Sadreta, Suryamandala, Astawara Magick, Magick Pawetuan profess wuku, tetenger Sasih
2. Said Upadesa: Aji kalepasan, Atma Tattwa, Badawang Nala, Singaraja Swarga, Brahmanda Purana, Buanakosa, Chess Janma, Bayu Darma, Darma Disconnect, Kamoksan, Purwa Earth, Rwabineda, Siwatiga, Tantu performances, Tutur pralina
3. Kanda: Asta Kosali, Cacakan chicken, Canda (residents script), Dasa name, Master Song, Kanda Literature, Kertabasa, Kruna phallus, Panerangan, Pangayam-chicken, Pangeger, pangiwa, Pangujanan, Paramasastra, Paribasa, Pemanes Coral, Pengasihasih , Piodalan, Siksan Kedis, Smara Kanda, Swara Wianjana, Wrettasancaya
4. Anusada: Bebayon, Buda Santol, Pakakas, Panawar, Tumbal Leak, Usada Buduh, Usada Rare, Usada Tuju
D. ITIHASA (epic)
1. Parwa: Astadasaparwa, Calon Arang, Pamuteran Ksirarnawa, Uttara Kanda
2. Kekawin: Arjuna Wijaya, Arjuna Wiwaha, Barata Yuda, Boma Kawia, Gatotkacasraya, Hariwangsa, Ramayana, Smaradahana, Sumaasantaka
3. Song: Alis Alis Ijo, Jagat Karana, Panji Malat Lasmi, Sri Tanjung, Sudamala
4. Gaguritan / Paparikan: Basur, Brayut, Bungkling, Cupak, Durma, Jayaprana, Megantaka, Pakangraras, Sampik, Salya 5.
E. BABAD (Chronicle)
1. Pamancangah: Pamancangah Dalem, inscriptions (Brahmana, Sengguhu, Dukuh, etc.)
2. Babad: Babad Arya Kenceng, Babad Buleleng, Gianyar Babad Babad Mengwi, Babad Panji Sakti Wijaya, Babad Pasek, Babad Pasek Gelgel, Rangga Lawe Babad Babad Bali Usana, Usana Babad Java.
1. Tantric Hinduism: Tantric Song (Bahasa Tengahan), Ni Diah Tantri (Bahasa Bali kepara, voila Kamandaka (Bahasa Kawi)
2. Tantric Bali: Gunawati, Lutung Mungil.