Balinese Traditional Village in Karangasem
Tenganan Village is one of several ancient or traditional villages in Bali, which is usually called “Bali Aga”. Bali Aga village means a village that still hold the origin traditions and rules of ancient Balinese and the people living in the village are “Bali Aga”, the original Balinese people. Some people say that the word Tenganan was derived from the word “tengah” or “ngatengahang” which means “move to the inner area”, it’s because in the past the villagers are moving from the seaside to a rural area, in which the position of this village is in the middle of hills, that are western hill (Bukit Kauh) and eastern hill (Bukit Kangin).
The houses in Tenganan Village are designed with the traditional way, the villagers still hold the traditional religious ritual ceremonies, and live the ancient Balinese lifestyle to keep their lifestyle pure and clean. Tenganan villagers who move out of the village are not welcomed back, nor are their spouses if the village people get married to outsiders. Only Bali Aga peoples are allowed to live here, it’s mean only for those peoples who were born in this village.
The attraction that you can find in Tenganan Village are :
- Countrified pattern of rural having the character of Linear
- The structure of bilateral society orientation at seniority collective
- Special Ritual System in high frequency by serving the religion solidarity, artistically and social mechanical solidarity
- The tradition of Mekare-Kare on every June is a faith tradition as the screw pine in ritual context, religion value, spirit of struggle as well as test of physical delaying accompanied by traditional gamelan of Selonding
- The Art Crafting Weave of cloth fastens are famous called by Ikat Pegringsingan. It is designed and arranged by the typical color.